Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The 20 Best Albums of 2006: 10-1

10. Frida Hyvönen - Until Death Comes

Discovered late in the year, the album from this piano playing singer songwriter became one of the most played records in the previous weeks. In a way, this can be compared to Regina Spektor but it's a little less radio friendly. Very diverse, very beautiful, pretty weird and misleading at times (what about this lyric: 'Once I was a serene teenaged child/once I felt your cock against my thigh'). This album might make you a little uncomfortable, but you will be intruiged and you might even love this!

[video: The Modern]

9. Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

I still don't get why this band isn't being played on Dutch radio. Forget the Scissor Sisters with their overplayed hit single, listen to Belle and Sebastian for you indiepop intake!!! The Life Pursuit is the most accessible and extravagant B & S album to date. Camera Obscura might have the best songs, this album is better as a whole. Sing along and dance!
[video: Funny Little Frog]


8. the Mint Chicks - Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No!

"hardcore, punk, pop and rock are put in a blender with excellent results" is what I wrote about this band. One of the more surprising albums of the year. This record keeps sounding fresh and exciting, weird yet accessible, rocking yet cute.
[video: Welcome to Nowhere]


7. The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine

As I wrote here, I never 'got' this band until this album and I'm still blown away by it. Postpunk did not sound better than this in 2006.

[video: Pillar of Salt]


6. Be Your Own Pet - self titled

Discussed here. This album makes me hyperactive in a good way!

[video: Adventure]


5. The Brother Kite - Waiting for the Time to Be Right

To me, one of the biggest surprises of the year. Put Nada Surf, The Cure and the Beach Boys in a blender, add a dreamy production and you get a winner. There are some extraordinary songs on this, but what makes this album even more outstanding is the completeness of it. The combination of slower and more uptempo songs keeps this album interesting. Discussed here.
[video: I'm not the only one]

4. Sprites - Modern Gameplay

I have a weak spot for cute indiepop songs with keyboards. This is exactly what Sprites does perfectly on Modern Gameplay. Add some lyrics about computers, zombie movie directors, blogging, dj'ing and you get one of the most played albums of 2006 at FTC headquarters.
[mp3: George Romero]

3. Okkervil River - Overboard and Down (EP)

Can a five song tour EP (of which one is a cover and one a live song) end up this high in a yearlist? Hey! We're talking Okkervil River here! The few songs on it are of extraordinary quality. I can't wait for the new album!



2. The Walkmen - A Hundred Miles Off

The sound on this album is somewhat surprising considering their previous work, but to me it was a big improvement. They've created a style in which they sound really comfortable. What really makes this album end up this high on my list is the constant quality of the album. On most albums you'll find the urge to skip a few songs...not on this one!
[video: Louisiana]

1. The Format - Dog Problems

Discussed here. This album was my soundtrack to the summer of 2006. Break up songs never sounded this fun before. Great vocal harmonies and the diversity and musicianship showed on this album makes this my top album of 2006!

[video: Dog Problems]



So I showed you mine...now show me yours! I'd love to find out what your favorite records were this year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My top 10

1) Damien Rice - 9
2) Arctic Monkeys - Whatever people say I am...
3) Wolfmother - Wolfmother

And in no particular order:
Joan as Police Woman - Real Life
Beirut - Gulag Orkester
Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche
The Kooks - Inside in/inside out
Amy Winehouse - Back to black
Ojos de Brujo - Techari
Ayo - Joyful

x Renske (leuk om jou lijstje te lezen!)

Anonymous said...

Ondoenlijk zo'n lijstje. The Fratellis waren dé ontdekking, en verder erg genoten van de albums van Mew, Bromheads Jacket, Tom Waits, Brightblack Morning Light, The Veils en veel meer.

Beste singles kwamen van The Fratellis, Damien Rice, Cassius, My Chemical Romance, The Kooks, Dead 60's, Ween, The Black Keys enz. enz.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here filetransfercomplete.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. Let me show you one truth. Research presents that almost 90% of all USA grownups are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.