Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Pipettes@Rotown


Last night I went to the Pipettes show in a sold out Rotown. With the buzz that have been surrounding them for the past half year, I was quite curious to see if this retro/bubblegum/indie/popband lived up to the hype. I've enjoyed their debut album 'We Are The Pipettes' quite a bit, but I didn't know how I would feel about the choreographed dance moves and if the band would be a cool indiepopband or a lame-ass radio popband live. Thus, my expectations weren't that high.


Eventually, I guess it took me three songs to get it into it. From the moment they started "Your Kisses are Wasted on Me" throughout the end of the show, I had a smile on my face. I'd never expected them to be so much fun live. The three Pipettes were determined to give the crowd an enjoyable evening and they succeeded. The crowd went from headboppin' to handclaps to dancing. Well ok...only some people danced, but everyone seemed to have a great show.

Some other observations:
* the vocals were totally on key...these girls can really sing, great harmonies!
* the choreographed dancemoves were actually pretty awesome
* the backing band (the cassettes) stood anonymously behind the the three girls, but played flawless. The drummer's hairdo was actually even worse than mine.
* Rose Pipette might be the cutest girl in indiepop
* the Pipettes live are much more enjoyable than on album
* clap your hands if you want some more? We did!

So yeah...I had a pretty cool night in Rotterdam yesterday! There is only one problem...their songs have been stuck in my head all day now...



Fabchannel will broadcast tonight's Amsterdam show live. It will probably be archived, so check Fabchannel if you're curious.

The Pipettes on MySpace

No comments: